The 10 Best Golf Rangefinders To Improve Your Gaming Experience
Last updated: August 24, 2021
All set to start playing golf but not sure how to choose the best golf equipment to enhance your gaming experience? How about starting with a reliable rangefinder? If you are just starting your golfing career, you may find it slightly intimidating to choose the perfect model from the numerous options available. There are many questions you may be asking yourself: How does a rangefinder work? Is it worth it? Which one to choose? Don't worry; We have you covered. We will be trying to answer every single question about rangefinders.
From handheld units to wearable watches, you may come across different advanced devices that measure distances. That's why rangefinders have become handy tools, not just in golf but for numerous other activities, such as hunting. However, the golf-specific rangefinders work great in calculating the perfect target distance quickly with reliability, which makes them among the essential golf accessories that you should consider to have in your golf bag.
Accurate distance control enables you to play the game well and shoot low scores. Seasoned players can opt for models with advanced features like slope measurement and pin-seeking modes. To make things easier, we have put up a list of the best golf rangefinders in the market for you. Go through these exhaustive golf rangefinder reviews to better understand the options available in the market. By the time you finish reading the article, we are sure that you will be equipped with the necessary information and knowledge to choose the right rangefinder for you so as to get the best out of your golfing sessions. Let's get started.
Check Also: Best golf umbrellas
- 1) What Is A Rangefinder?
- 2) What Are Some Factors Golfers Should Consider When Making a Decision About Rangefinders?
TOP 10 Best Golf Rangefinder Reviews
- 3.1) #1- TecTecTec ULT-X Golf Rangefinder
- 3.2) #2- Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Golf Laser Rangefinder
- 3.3) #3- Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
- 3.4) #4- Bushnell Pro X2 Golf Laser Rangefinder
- 3.5) #5- Nikon COOLSHOT 40i portable laser rangefinder
- 3.6) #6- Precision Pro NX7 Laser Rangefinder
- 3.7) #7- TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder
- 3.8) #8- Callaway 300 Pro Golf Laser Rangefinder
- 3.9) #9- Garmin Approach Z80 Rangefinder
- 3.10) #10- TecTecTec VPRO500S Golf Rangefinder with Slope
- 4) Frequently Asked Questions
- 5) Can Rangefinders Be Used For Examining Hazards?
- 6) Doesn't the course give you the distances already?
- 7) Should I opt for a laser rangefinder or is a GPS unit better?
- 8) What type of laser technology is used in the rangefinder?
- 9) Do I Need A Rangefinder For Golf?
- 10) Can I Use A Hunting Rangefinder For Golf?
- 11) Are Rangefinder Devices Legal For Tournament Play?
- 12) CONCLUSION
What Is A Rangefinder?
A golf rangefinder is a tool used by golfers to help them determine (or estimate) the precise distance to the flagstick, the green, the target pin location, and many other critical factors. Estimating the distance helps golfers with the accuracy of their shots, as it gives them an idea of which club to use. A rangefinder displays the distance to the intended target for you to aim and hit accordingly.
There are two types of rangefinders: GPS and Laser rangefinders. The names give a clear idea about the technology each type uses to provide a distance estimation that is as accurate as possible.
Both types have their benefits and drawbacks. GPS rangefinders require less time to calculate the distance to the hole or any other point, as they work on locations that are already known on the golf course. On the other hand, Laser rangefinders are more accurate and provide more precise measurements.
GPS rangefinders provide faster calculations on the fly, with plenty of extra features and useful information; still, they are not the most accurate devices you can use for distance calculation. Moreover, they are only helpful with courses that are already mapped by the manufacturer; if you can't find the course you're playing on the device, your rangefinder won't be of any assistance. Laser rangefinders are much more accurate, and that's probably their most significant advantage over GPS devices. They can also be used anywhere, on any course on the planet, without the need to download anything before playing. However, they need to be constantly operated and would provide distance estimation for visible objects only.
What Are Some Factors Golfers Should Consider When Making a Decision About Rangefinders?
Are you looking to buy the best golf rangefinder for the very first time? If so, here are some of the main factors that will help you make the right choice and get the best one for you:
You need to make sure the unit can shoot a maximum reliable distance. You can compare a number of units before buying and choose the one that has the highest distance range.
Accuracy is a significant, if not the most significant, criterion here. In other words, if the unit gives the wrong numbers and calculations, the unit becomes useless, and the players won't see any improvement in their shots. We already know laser rangefinders are more accurate than GPS units, but this means in no way that GPS units are not good. The device must meet a minimum accuracy requirement.
Slope Measurement Capabilities:
In addition to gravitational features, slope features help golfers make better shots when playing an uphill or downhill shot. A rangefinder that supports slope calculations and slope compensation technology can calculate the distance to the flagstick, in addition to the degree of elevation. These are helpful features to have in your new rangefinder.
This is a territory dominated by GPS rangefinders, as they usually offer a good quality display on which the map of the whole course is displayed. Still, laser rangefinders are evolving too. Some units have replaced the traditional monochrome LCD display with modern OLED ones offering better views of the course with colored data, making it easier for the player to read the displayed numbers.
It will help if you look for a rangefinder that is waterproof. This is because it needs to work in different weather conditions; in addition, it should survive an accidental fall in the water. Knowing that your device is waterproof will help you focus more on the game instead of paying attention not to damage the unit.
Ease of Use
All electronics come with a slight learning curve; this includes golf rangefinders as well. Therefore, you should opt for units that you can use directly from the bag and help you find the target quickly. The faster the calculations are, the better the whole experience will be.
It is pointless to own a device capable of calculating long distances if you can't view the target. For this, you will require a minimum of 5X magnification to see distant targets. Most of the devices today come with 6X magnification.
Pin Seeking Technology:
This feature helps you pinpoint and lock your targets before making a shot. For example, if you point your rangefinder at a small mark from a distance, the pin seeking feature locks your target when you press the button so that even if your hand is shaking or the crosshair moves, your target will be locked.
When you want to buy a new rangefinder you most probably have a budget in mind. First, you need to consider all the options that fall into the price range that you can afford. Then, you can compare them all in terms of features, reliability, accuracy, sturdiness, etc. Finally, you want to pick the unit that offers the best value for the money you're paying.
You May Also Like: Best Golf Gloves
TOP 10 Best Golf Rangefinder Reviews
Below are the top 10 golf rangefinders review. Based on your preference, you can pick the one that shall raise the bars of your game.
#1- TecTecTec ULT-X Golf Rangefinder
TecTecTec is a trusted brand, and their ULT-X is the best GPS golf rangefinder that golfers turn to due to its durability, reliability, and cost-effective rates. The TecTecTec ULT-X is the best inexpensive golf rangefinder that comes with advanced features. Also, it competes well with other finders that are double its price tag.
- Target Lock Technology: The ULT-X unit uses the target lock technology to lock in on the targets. It works great and can calculate distances of up to 450 yards and even target hazards at a range of 1000 yards.
- Magnification: Due to the 6X magnification, you are sure to get clear and bright pictures - so you don't have to worry about not locking onto the flag accurately.
- Pinsensor with vibration: This feature sends slight jolts to your device to assure you that you have locked in on the right target. Since wooded areas are commonly found behind the greens, this feature becomes more effective here - you get to hit a flag and not the tree. Also, the scan feature allows you to quickly find the target and identify other objects as you get ready to hit.
- Great accuracy: No one wishes to ruin their scorecard by getting the wrong distances based on their device's inaccurate readings. The ULT-X - the best golf rangefinder for the money uses the latest optical technology to give a reading that ranges within 0.3 yards distance to 300 yards.
- Slope Feature: Slope reading allows you to calculate better but it is not permitted for tournaments. It works great for practice rounds as it helps you understand the downhill and uphill factors. This one comes with an attached faceplate that you can quickly remove if you plan to play competitive golf tournaments. This makes it legal to use as per the USGA regulations.
You May Also Like: Best golf Push Cart
- Resistant to moisture and rainproof.
- Easy to use.
- Offers lifetime customer support and 2 years warranty.
- Indicates when the battery is low
- Lacks magnetic mount.
This unit is one of the best value golf rangefinders for golfers looking for cost-effective GPS devices that come with slope. It also contains additional accessories such as a strap, a premium carrying pouch, a quick start guide, and a CR2 battery that fits well into the box.
#2- Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Golf Laser Rangefinder
With years of experience, Bushnell has come out with one of the best golf laser rangefinders. PGA tour professionals often use the Bushnell Tour V4 JOLT Laser model during their practice sessions. This solid entry gives you accurate estimates and readings by locking precisely on the targets.
- JOLT Technology: With the help of the jolt technology the device vibrates as soon as it locks onto the target flagstick. You will find that this unit's yardages are accurate, assuring you that the readings are sensible.
- Silicon protection: When it comes to housing, it's light in weight and made using plastic components. The presence of the silicone sleeve ensures additional protection for the unit. It also provides an extra layer of shock absorption and saves it from accidental drops and abuses.
- Customer support: The Tour V4 JOLT Laser model comes with a warranty period of 2 years.
- Pinseeker: The pin seeker and the jolt technology of this unit helps deliver precision and accuracy as you make incredible shots. So, you don't have to double-check on the distance and make sure that the yardage is right.
- Range: The laser range of the Tour V4 JOLT stands unique among the crowd. Having a range that can go up to 1000 yards with a marginal error of one yard, you can easily target the pin within this range. If you plan to target long-distance ends, you will have to utilize a fast focus system and 5X magnification to find the pin's location.
- Legal to use in tournaments.
- Comes with an excellent protective case.
- Offers the best golf rangefinder app - Bushnell Golf App.
- Compact in size and fits nicely into your hands and pockets.
- Not suitable to use during foggy seasons.
- Has only 5x magnification.
The Bushnell Tour V4 JOLT is the best golf rangefinder for the money that holds similar features and power as that of its competitors. Though it comes in small packages, it offers excellent efficiency in measurements. It's the best choice for those looking for mid-price range models and has a solid case that shields it from damage. Note that it is one of the best value golf rangefinders that works well for enthusiastic golfers of all abilities; however, it won't suit those with limited budgets.
#3- Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
Nikon is well known for its high-end cameras and rifle scopes with immense success in the optical industry. No wonder when it comes to golf rangefinders they have some of the best models. The Nikon Coolshot Pro is an excellent golf rangefinder due to its modern and sleek profile. In addition to the great appearance, it's also bundled up with high-tech features.
- Stabilize: The Coolshot Pro utilizes stabilization technology to maintain the integrity of both the laser beam and sight line that shoots and takes the reading. It's convenient as it safeguards the rangefinder from inexperienced players' shaky hands. This feature protects the unit from shaking or vibration of human hands and enhances the accuracy by 20%.
- Locked On: This factor functions together with the stabilizing technology. Once you get the reading, most rangefinders notify what they're locked on, which means you have the final number. That's not always the case as you have no clue what you're locked onto as it can either be a tree or a green. The lock-on feature rectifies this concern. It brackets the targeted point using a green circle so that you won't have any doubt.
- Fog Proof and Waterproof: Are you an enthusiastic player who gets the gang to play even during the rain? If so, you may need this resilient model that's resistant to water. Well, durability is not an issue here. Since it's resistant to fog and water, it will keep the device safe against inclement weather. Being on the pricier side, it's advisable to keep it insured against accidental damages. No one wishes to have their investment go down the drain.
- Slope Tech: Especially for players who play in hilly areas, the slope reading technology works great. Being aware of the slope you need to handle will offer you a better grasp of your shot.
- Utilizes the Incline/Decline Technology to analyze downhill or uphill shots.
- Has durable housing.
- Ensures excellent accuracy ratings.
- The case comes with elastic edges.
The Coolshot Pro is one of the best golf rangefinders for shaky hands, making it apt for senior golfers. With cutting-edge technology such as stabilize and Locked on, most users are sure to reap lots of benefits.
#4- Bushnell Pro X2 Golf Laser Rangefinder
Bushnell has been striving to offer the world's best quality and most reliable sports products for over 60 years. Their latest addition, the Bushnell Pro X2 is one of the best golf GPS rangefinders as it's packed with incredible features. Any player who is familiar with rangefinders or GPS will surely appreciate this one.
- PinSeeker with Jolt: Like other models, the X2 also comes with the PinSeeker with Jolt technology. This pin seeker feature is capable of weeding out background hindrances such as flag poles or trees and will help you log onto the pin accurately. Jolt gives small vibrations when X2 finds the target.
- Slope: The slope feature helps measure the downhill or uphill pin location and gives you the accurate hit location. This is not permitted as per the USGA rules. That's why the X2 comes with a slope switch technology that allows the player to toggle the switch on/off when required.
- Dual Display Technology: There is a handy button on the side of the unit, it allows the user to choose between a bright red and vivid display or a sharp black colored display. You can select depending on the lighting conditions and personal choice.
- Great Precision and Speed: Due to the incredible precision and speed of the device, it relays readings from 125 yards away at five times the pace of its competitors.
- 6x Magnification: The ring on the eyepiece ensures easy adjustment of the focus. The 6x magnification gives a clear picture of the target location and its surrounding area.
- Feel: The design has come out perfectly with the right size requirement. Also, the Stable-Grip Technology, which consists of a rubber grip over the metallic case, gives it a comfortable and sturdy feel and makes it easier to handle.
- Has excellent accuracy, which is precise from one yard to 1000 yards away.
- Not only water-resistant but also waterproof.
- Does not require any charging as it comes with a built CR2 battery.
- Doesn't affect the pace of the player as it's quick in locking targets.
- Lack of mounting options.
Bushnell has come up with great features in their Pro X2 model to reward their loyal golfers. It outperforms most other models, as it is the best golf rangefinder with slope when it comes to accuracy and speed. The presence of multi-coated optics helps deliver clear pictures. Golfers of varying abilities may find this an excellent tool for practicing.
#5- Nikon COOLSHOT 40i portable laser rangefinder
Nikon has come across great successes in the optical market. So creating a good rangefinder is no surprise for this brand. The Coolshot 40i is one of the best golf rangefinders that holds up to its quality. The advanced features it displays are what keeps it competitive with the other models in the market.
- Design: Though it may seem tiny, it offers the perfect accuracy and precision that you need to play the game. This highly portable and good value golf rangefinder weighs only 5.6 ounces and fits well in your pockets, and you can carry it along in your carrying pouch.
- Range: Having an effective range of 350 yards, it can scan your target and display your flag's exact location. It offers the correct measurement with a margin of error of up to 1 yard. The unit can also point out trees or hazards that lie around in the background of the course.
- 8 Second Shoot Time: This unit needs 8 seconds to scan the target location for objects. Any average player can easily locate the circular target range at the center of the green. With a sweeping motion, you will figure out the distance by shooting the green around the flag. By scanning, you will get numerous readings that'll help you decide on the perfect club.
- 6X Magnification: Lack of proper magnification may result in a poor target location. However, if the magnification is too high, you may have to spend lots of time figuring out which tree you're looking at closely. Just like most other models, this unit comes with 6X magnification. Also, the multilayered coatings offer a clear and unclouded picture.
- Incredible battery life.
- Convenient to use even in bad weather due to its waterproof feature.
- Does continuous scanning which gives excellent clarity.
- Easy to use.
- Lacks slope adjustments for uneven terrains.
- Shooting down flags through trees and bushes may not be easy.
- Does not use pin seeker technology.
The Nikon COOLSHOT 40i makes a great choice as the leading range distance measurement indicator based on the design and optics. This budget-friendly option comes with a zero learning curve. This is the best budget golf laser rangefinder that uses the target priority technology to give high precision.
#6- Precision Pro NX7 Laser Rangefinder
Ever used a rangefinder and thought you would hit the flag and then made a wrong distance hit? Well, this can be frustrating and can even kill a great game. Using the Precision Pro NX7, which is the best golf rangefinder for shaky hands, you are sure never to be disappointed. It comes with various advanced technologies and has a compact design. It's an excellent choice for numerous reasons.
- Accuracy: A great rangefinder that can measure from one yard of the target up to 1/10th of a yard. All you have to do is click on the single button on the top. Once you see a circle with crosshairs, hit the button once again. Now it will provide the exact distance of your target location. You will find that it's easy to use and allows you to hit your target consistently.
- Durability: Even if you accidentally drop it, you don't have to worry about it getting damaged or scratched. This is because it's made using a shockproof design that makes it durable.
- Pulse Vibration Technology: The perfect combination of Pulse Vibration Technology, coupled with Target Acquisition Technology, triggers a vibration as you lock onto your target. This is done by measuring the accurate distance of the target. As a result of this feature, you will speed up your game and boost your confidence as you make each shot. Golfing is all about confidence - which comes along with the consistent low scores on your scorecard.
- Adaptive Slope Technology: You may find it hard to calculate the slope while facing a shot with elevation. No worries! The adaptive slope technology does the calculation part for you and quickly displays the required yardage. By clicking one button, you can quickly turn the slope off to play legally.
- It can deliver the distance accurately even with shaky hands.
- Water-resistant and small in size.
- Offers a 2-year warranty.
- Provides trade-in allowance if you wish to upgrade it later.
- Minor accuracy and consistency issues.
The Pro NX7 Laser is one of the best budget golf laser rangefinders due to its functionality and compact design. It's best suited for intermediate to advanced players who are quite serious about golfing. Loaded with great features, it's available at a reasonable cost.
#7- TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder
TecTecTec VPRO500 is one of the best golf rangefinders for beginners with a sleek profile. If you are on a limited budget, this golf rangefinder for under 200 dollars is for you. The affordable price range allows you to focus on getting other sports items that will help enhance your game. Although it's a slightly older version, it still holds good value. In addition, it makes use of laser technology to improve the game.
Accuracy: Being reliable and the best cheap golf rangefinder, this model gives you the exact distances of the hazards or flags that lie with one-yard accuracy. It has a maximum range of around 540 yards. It also provides readings instantly within a few seconds. This helps you improve the speed of your game with just a few strokes. All you have to do is aim towards the target, get the correct measurement, and make the best shot.
Pin Mode: The Advanced Pinseeker Mode helps in carefully measuring the overlapping targets and the distance towards your flags present in wooded areas. It also helps in locating hazards before you make a shot.
Target Lock Technology: Finding it confusing to figure out your targets, especially when many objects are present in the background. Using this technology helps in filtering out the background objects and locking onto the targets accurately.
Scan Mode: With the Continuous Scan Mode's help, you can figure out the exact distances of each object that can influence your game. This Scan mode will keep looking for data and offer readings in meters or yards, as per your preference.
Lens Display: When it comes to the optics, they are ultra-clear, premium, multilayered, and easy to read. From the lens display, you will find the distance measurement and get indications when the battery is low. Due to the continuous measurement mode, you will get convenient readings quickly, helping you speed up your game.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Comes with a weight of just 185 g.
- Ergonomic and resistant to water.
- Offers two years of warranty with lifetime Customer Support
- The housing is quite flimsy.
Tectectec VPRO500 is the best inexpensive rangefinder golf choice for everyday golfers looking for great value models. It's suitable for golfers of all levels, from experienced players to beginners. It can scan long ranges and is simple to use directly out of the box. Also, the packaging includes a cleaning cloth, a case, and a battery.
#8- Callaway 300 Pro Golf Laser Rangefinder
Though Callaway isn't usually known for their rangefinders, the 300 Pro Golf Laser rangefinder has been consistently rated as the best golf rangefinder with slope. It also makes a grand entry because it's a perfect combination of functional and sporty design. In addition to offering the slope features, they're available at an attractive price range. With a modern and sleek ergonomic design you will be able to locate your pins accurately in a sophisticated manner.
- Long-range vision: Known as the best value golf rangefinder, it offers yardages that measure target distances ranging up to 1000 yards. This is much longer than you will ever require during a golf game.
- Chirp: The pin acquisition technology present in this unit chirps when it gets locked onto a pin that lies up to 300 yards. The 300 Pro laser chirps proudly with loud audible noise as it gets locked onto the flagsticks. Moreover, it guarantees excellent accuracy and precision essential for a golfer to play the game effectively. If you find that the pin is too far away, you can use the 6X magnification to track it out.
- Accuracy: The 300 Pro compact unit offers a range that goes up to 1000 yards and has a margin of error of one yard. This distance location provides you the confidence to plan your shots irrespective of the location of the hole.
- Slope: The slope measurement feature helps calculate the actual yardage by measuring the declination or inclination to make a clean shot. Planning to join a tournament? You can easily turn off the slope function with just a simple click to avoid getting disqualified.
- Fog proof and waterproof.
- Comes with an LCD that's easy to read.
- Can precisely mark any hindrances that lie in the background using the scan mode.
- Has minimum accessories and lacks a magnetic clip.
- Some reports claim it has very short battery life.
- The slope ON/OFF switch is a button and not a clip. It may cause problems during tournaments if accidentally pushed.
- Chirps instead of vibrating, which can cause distractions.
With numerous options available, the Callaway 300 Pro Laser is the best budget golf rangefinder that would be a great add-on to your golf kit. Moreover, it's highly reviewed by enthusiastic players across the globe.
#9- Garmin Approach Z80 Rangefinder
Are you a serious golf player? If so, Garmin Approach Z80 is one of the best value golf rangefinders for you. Though it's not cheap, it provides unique features that are worth the value. Known as the most accurate target indicator and leader among rangefinders, the Approach Z80 acts as the user's best personal caddy.
- Insane Accuracy: Have you ever made the wrong shot due to cheap rangefinders that locked a hill or tree behind the green? With Z80, your strokes will never go wrong again. The image stabilization feature will enable you to locate and range the flagsticks accurately. On hitting flag lock, you can automatically view the entire distance of the green through the green view of the lens. Hence, you don't have to calculate how to get to the back or front of the green correctly.
- 6x magnification: Thanks to the 6x magnification, you will get a clear picture with map overlays of the entire layout of the hole.
- Plays Like Distance: This feature helps in adjusting yardages for downhill or uphill shots automatically. Based on the elevation changes, these calculations are precisely made from where you're standing to the located area on the map. This makes it easier for you to choose the right club to hit elevation shots. When you play in tournaments you can disable this feature to stay legal.
- Laser Range Arc: Based on the laser distance range, this feature helps you draw an arc on the 2-D course map. This will help you to view the area clearly and stay away from hazards or bunkers.
- Perfect accuracy within 10" to the flagstick.
- Offers image stabilization even if you have shaky hands.
- Provides a sufficient distance range of up to 350 yards.
- Requires frequent battery charging.
Are you visually oriented and require game plans before making each shot? Then, the Z80 is the best golf rangefinder for you. With incredible technology packed into this unit you don't have to worry about anything before making a shot. It also comes with a micro USB charging cable, a carry case with a carabiner, and an instructions manual.
If you are an enthusiastic golfer, you must have thought, what is the best golf rangefinder watch available in the market? Well, Garmin offers the best golf rangefinder watch to keep track of your game as well.
#10- TecTecTec VPRO500S Golf Rangefinder with Slope
The TecTecTec VPRO500S is one of the best golf rangefinders and works the same as the VPRO500 reviewed earlier in this post. However, it comes with an additional advantage of having a switchable slope technology. Also, it's an expensive model due to the addition of slope technology. It displays a shiny and stylish black finishing to make the deal even better. It shares most of the deluxe features that are available in the priced models.
- Range: With an effective range of around 540 yards, you will be able to measure most of the courses that you will come across. For this, you will have to point the unit towards the target and pull on the trigger. If your target is present at a very far distance, you can use the 6X magnification to get a clearer look.
- PinSensor technology: With PinSensor technology's help, you can track the pins down accurately and lock onto them so that you can avoid measuring the woods that lie behind the green. With the help of the slope function, you can adjust the distance to be aware of how the shot plays. It works well even for rough and uneven terrain. Also, it offers accurate range distances that lie within 1 yard.
- Carrying case: The best part of the packaging is the stylish and trendy yellow and black carrying case. This sturdy pouch safeguards your unit from potential shocks that can happen at any moment. It also works excellent even during bad climate conditions, as it's made of weather-resistant components. It contains various items such as a microfiber cleaning cloth, complementary CR2 battery, regular manual guide, and a wrist strap.
- Durability: Even though it’s light and small in size, The device is sturdy because it’s made of high quality materials that ensure it won’t easily break and will survive any accidental falls. It’s also rain-resistant, and the protective case adds an extra layer of protection.
- Has three scan modes.
- Legal to use as per USGA.
- Offers a warranty of two years.
- Resistant to water.
- Hard to read the yardage figures.
- The slope feature harms non-slope accuracy.
Incorporated with the latest technology, the VPRO500S is one of the best-rated golf rangefinders with slope. For better vision, it comes with diopter balancing features. Thanks to this measurement technology, you can view your target with high precision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you are a senior, professional, or beginner, upgrading your golfing experience will help you get better scores. Getting the best golf rangefinders will help you make perfect shots.
Now you might have a lot of queries on what the best golf rangefinder is. Analyzing golf rangefinder reviews from 2019 through 2021, we have covered some of the most common questions golfers may have concerning the topic.
Can Rangefinders Be Used For Examining Hazards?
In golf, hazards refer to areas of the course that are difficult obstacles for the player to negotiate. These include water hazards, sand trap hazards, bunkers, trees, etc., that are present on the golf course. Those are to be avoided during a game at all costs. To do so, they need to be located first, and both types of rangefinders can do that without any problems. However, when it comes to invisible hazards, ones that the golfer cannot spot, they are practically impossible to locate using laser rangefinders.
On the other hand, GPS rangefinders can easily locate all types of hazards on a course, as they are all marked on the GPS map even if the player can't see them. So it seems like it's a clear win for GPS rangefinders over laser units, especially if the golfer is playing on a new, undiscovered golf course. They provide an advantage for the golfer to get better results.
Doesn't the course give you the distances already?
Yes, every golf course includes distance markers, also called fairway markers or yardage markers. They can be in the form of disks or poles, and they indicate the exact distance between the marker and the center of the green. Most golf courses use a unified color system for different markers using four distinct colors. In other words, the 100-yard marker is usually red; the 150 is normally white (sometimes it's yellow); the 200 marker is blue, and the 250 is yellow.
Golfers may use the markers to estimate distance, but this may be confusing. While all courses use the same four colors, it's not always clear what distance each color refers to, and golfers will need to check with the course personnel to know the significance of each color. Doing so each time you go to a new golf course would be tedious and time-consuming. That's why it would always be better to have a rangefinder in your golf bag, ready to use whenever you need to.
Should I opt for a laser rangefinder or is a GPS unit better?
The answer to this question depends on how and where you intend to use your unit. As stated before, GPS units provide faster operation and a lot of useful information but they lack accuracy. Some laser rangefinders can be accurate to half or even a tenth of a yard. Each of the two can be handier in different situations. Making a choice between the two types is subjective.
Suppose you are an experienced player who only plays on familiar courses and you know all the details and hazards on them. In that case, a laser rangefinder will be more accurate and useful. However, in the opposite situation, if you are the kind of player who prefers to discover new, unfamiliar, unknown golf courses, a GPS unit will be your better choice. It will help you get used to the course faster.
What type of laser technology is used in the rangefinder?
most laser rangefinders rely on to calculate distances. That is to say, the rangefinder sends a laser pulse in a narrow beam towards the targeted object (in our case, the flag stick). The time that the pulse takes to hit the flagstick and return to the laser unit is calculated and gives an estimation of the distance to the target. Usually, many laser pulses are fired and the average responses are used to calculate the distance as accurately as possible. Other technologies can be used to calculate distance, such as interferometry or Multiple frequency phase-shift, but these are usually required in other fields where sub-millimeter accuracy is crucial. In golf, most rangefinders use the time of flight principle.
Do I Need A Rangefinder For Golf?
If you are playing golf for fun and the low scores do not matter then it's not necessary to invest in the best golf rangefinders. However, if you're planning to become a seasoned player and learn the game well, you will have to get the best golf rangefinder to improve your gaming skills.
Initially, those with essential features under the 100-dollar price tag will easily help you get through the game. As you become more experienced, you can get expensive models with advanced additional features and technology to upgrade your game. Getting the best rangefinder for both golf and hunting will be a cost-effective option.
Can I Use A Hunting Rangefinder For Golf?
Not sure if you can use the rangefinder that you bought recently on the golf course? If your unit comes with the nearest object feature, you can also use it to play golf.
Note that the best golf-specific rangefinders help in locating the pins more accurately. This may be slightly slower when you use rangefinder models intended for both golf and hunting. In addition, even some golf measurement indicators can give the wrong target distance at times. Therefore, you need to be more careful and pay extra vigilance while using a single rangefinder for both golf and hunting.
Are Rangefinder Devices Legal For Tournament Play?
Yes. Most of the rangefinders available in the market are legal as per the USGA regulations if they measure only the target distance. However, the R&A and USGA made specific changes to the rules in 2006, prohibiting players from using distance-measuring tools.
By 2014, distance measurement devices were permitted while playing amateur events. Even though the latest slope measuring technology seems great the regulations won't be changing anytime soon. In 2016, the penalty for breaching these regulations underwent specific revisions. These rules remain in effect even now - in 2021.
Whether you need a rangefinder or not is based on how you play the game. If you're planning to play professionally for tournaments and upgrade your skills, getting the best golf rangefinder will help you progress quickly. All the items reviewed in our article offer some of the most accurate readings and will surely help you improve your game.
In the end, no matter which one you choose, we guarantee that it will deliver outstanding performance since our list is composed of a crème de la crème in the golf rangefinder world. Budget won't be an issue either as we have reviewed products from different price categories, from the more budget-friendly to the more expensive rangefinders. So, we know for sure that your favorite rangefinder is on our list; you just need to give it a little thinking to make the right choice.
Keeping this in mind, our best pick goes to the excellent TecTecTec ULT-X Golf Rangefinder. This is due to its well-defined and perfect distance measurement that can range up to 1000 yards. Moreover, the multilayered coating and the six-times magnification give the golfer a clear vision of where the flag lies. Thanks to its advanced Pinsensor with a vibration feature, the golfer gets to measure the distance precisely. Moreover, the slope switch technology offers a visible faceplate that allows you to play in tournaments. It provides astounding accuracy and distance precision - both of which are essential for a great game. Available at an affordable price, if you maintain it well, it's sure to serve you for a very long time.
Based on your budget and personal preferences, choose the best golf rangefinder that fits you well. Please, feel free to share your feedback on how it worked for your game and how much you benefited from using a rangefinder in the comments below.